"What quick improvements can I make to ensure the fastest sale possible for the most money?"
As a Realtor, this is the #1 question I am asked by homeowners looking to sell their house. There are many little projects that you can easily and cheaply do to greatly improve the response from potential buyers. It's true that the small things are what matter in life. Regardless of what kind of market you are in, buyers are generally more likely to offer on homes that are perceived as open, clean and maintained.
Here is a room by room list of ideas to improve your home's appearance and prepare it to sell faster than the competition!
Throughout the Home
1. Open the drapes/blinds, pull up shades and let in as much natural light as possible.
2. Light is essential in creating a positive vibe, turn on all lights for showings. Look at installing higher wattage bulbs to brighten up more if needed.
3. Remove clutter from every room to visually enlarge them.
4. Keep home dusted and well vacuumed at all times in case of last minute showing requests.
5. If you have a fireplace use it has a focal point in your decorating.
6. Air out your home for one half hour before showings if you have been cooking
7. It's best to remove those beautiful family portraits from the walls so the buyers can envision their family living there.
8. Remove any bulky or unnecessary furniture.
9. Create the feeling of a spacious entry by using decorative accents or removing any excess or necessary items.
10. Putty over and paint any nail holes, nail pops or wall blemishes.
11. Paint interior walls a neutral color to brighten home.
12. Repair or ideally remove loose or damaged wall paper.
13. Wash windows inside and out.
14. Organize the attic space is you have storage to showcase all of its potential.
15. Hide or remove excess cords and exposed wires.
16. Remove all smoke and pet odors.
17. Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
18. Dust baseboards and paint them if they are scuffed.
19. If you have pets put up toys and food as well as clean up hair, Some buyers may be allergic. Be sure litter boxes are cleaned often and hidden if possible.
20. Clean air vents and wipe down surrounding wall/ceiling space. Change air filters
In the Kitchen
21. Deep clean kitchen, wipe down refrigerator, dishwasher, oven and microwave inside and out.
22. Expand counter space by removing ALL small appliances.
23. Highlight eat-in kitchen areas with a table set for dinner.
24. Before leaving for showings microwave a small dish of vanilla and put it in a safe, out of sight place.
In the Bedrooms
25. Depersonalize and decorate in a neutral scheme.
26. Make sure beds are made and visible linens are clean.
27. Organize closets, showcase storage space.
In the Bathrooms
28. Re-caulk the tub and stand up shower if not sparkling white.
29. Repair or replace any broken tiles in shower/tub.
30. Replace old shower curtains
31. Put out fresh decorative towels and soaps.
32. Place toothbrushes, makeup, razors and all personal items under the sink or in drawers.
33. Wipe down sinks, bathtubs and showers. Make sure toilets are clean and seats are left down.
34. Paint front door if chipped or faded.
35. Clear porches, balconies, patios and all outdoor spaces of any clutter. Organize toys out of the way.
36. Have trees and shrubs trimmed, keep lawn mowed.
37. Put a fresh welcome mat at the front door.
38. Be sure doors are opening and closing with ease. Make adjustments for sticking doors. Don't forget garage door!
39. Showcase the landscaping potential by removing any weeds from the garden bed and adding small flowering plants.
40. Re-caulk around exterior doors and windows if peeling or discolored.
While a good Realtor with a customized marketing plan is key to a fast and successful home sale, these improvements are sure to leave a lasting positive impression on buyers. These little details can motivate a buyer who might otherwise be on the fence. Let's get you the most money possible in the least amount of time!
Contact me if you have specific questions about selling your home or if you would like a customized marketing plan for your area.
May your home always be filled with light, love and laughter- Tiffany